Beautiful Friday greetings!
Tomorrow (Saturday February 18th) we release our second new beer of 2017: PEGBOY PILS German Pilsner!
German Pilsner is one of my favorite lager styles and I’m excited to keg it this afternoon and have it debut tomorrow when we open at 2. One of the reasons why I like the style is its hop-forward character featuring elegant (noble) German hops. Ours features Perle for bittering and the classic Tettnang for aroma and flavor. Expect mild herbal/floral notes coupled with top of the line German Pilsner (and a bit of light German Munich) malt!
Here’s the overall impression from the BJCP 2015 style guidelines for German Pilsner:
“A light bodied, highly attenuated, gold colored, bottom fermented bitter German beer showing excellent head retention and an elegant, floral hop aroma. Crisp, clean, and refreshing, a German Pils showcases the finest quality German malt and hops.”
I have high hopes that Pegboy Pils will have all of those qualities.
The beer is named after my favorite Chicago punk band: check ’em out online!
Meanwhile at 7:30 that night the Classical Guitar Society will make its debut on our proverbial stage at 7:30! I’m really looking forward to the combination of a beer named after a punk band with a classical guitar performance. Should be tasty!
This Saturday Feb. 4th is my birthday and we’re having a beer dinner from 6 to 9pm with Athens Gyros Westport to celebrate! In honor of my ethnic heritage, Chef Andy Ziegler has concocted a special Scandavian-themed menu for the day and here it is including our suggested beer pairings:
• Fried Red Potatoes- smashed red potatoes topped with fresh Carr Valley cheese curds and smothered with Bacon Blue Fundito made with Verily Belgian Dubbel. Pairing suggestions: Verily Belgian Dubbel, Janethan Wired Espresso Porter and Hop-Bearer IPA!
• Scandi Chicken Gyro – topped with whole grain mustard Janethan Robust Porter yogurt sauce, green cabbage slaw, and tomatoes. Pairing suggestions: Alferd Black Rye Imperial Saison and Verily Belgian Dubbel!
• Scandi Lamb Gyro – topped with whole grain mustard Janethan Robust Porter yogurt sauce, green cabbage slaw, and tomatoes. Pairing suggestion: Hop-Bearer IPA!
• Scandi Eggplant Gyro – topped with whole grain mustard Janethan Robust Porter yogurt sauce, green cabbage slaw, and tomatoes.
• Birthday Cake! Pairing suggestions: Geronimo Imperial Stout and Janethan Wired Espresso Porter!
- Athens Gyros’ full menu is also available.
- Meanwhile the day before we’re releasing our first new beer of 2017: CRAG MARTIN Special Bitter! This take on a traditional English-style pale ale is well-balanced and at 4.4.% abv is highly sessionable!
Come on by!
Music starts at 7:30PM unless otherwise noted and all shows are no cover.
Friday March 31st: Ryan Mauer & The Angry Fix.
Saturday April 1st: Yid Vicious.
Friday April 7th: Treemo with Jourdan Haines & Mary Wallin.
Friday April 14th: Common Chord.
Friday April 21st: Open Mic with the Brewmaster at 7PM!
Saturday April 22nd: Sugar Still.
Friday April 28th: Halfway to Halloween Party with DJ Cardinal Din Sibo!
At 12% abv Geronimo Imperial Stout (named after my 4-legged black cat) is our strongest beer representing one of my favorite beer styles. Imperial Stout is the king of the stout family that is like a black barleywine with wonderful complexity in terms of aroma and flavor. Expect a beautiful mix of dark roasted malts/roasted barley, caramel malts with dark fruit esters and significant hop bitterness in the finish with warming alcohol notes!
Geronimo will be on tap when we open at 3 and Cardinal Din Sibo will DJ starting at 5. Then at 9 we’ll show the counter-culture classic western Little Big Man!
Here are my initial tasting notes for Geronimo: incredibly smooth/dangerous for 12% abv! Baltic Porter-like smooth dark roasted malts/roasted barley with some caramel up front with a huge “RIS” finish, including good balancing hop bitterness and of course some booze.
Come get warmed up with a pour of Geronimo this Friday while enjoying the excellent spinnings of WORT’s Cardinal Din Sibo before taking in Little Big Man at 9!
Yes our Imperial IPA–UTOPIAN–will be back by popular demand this Friday November 11th and will be on tap when we open at 3pm!
I can report that this the third batch of Utopian is probably the best yet. It has reached the target ABV of 9.9% and will be very freshly kegged on Friday before we open! Another reason why this batch is showing much promise is a change in the dry-hopping roster. I substituted six ounces of Chinook with six ounces of Simcoe for the seven days before transferring to brite tank dry hop addition last Thursday 11/3 (and for reference this is a one barrel batch). Six ounces of Amarillo were added on Sunday for the four days before transfer addition.
I’m a long time fan of Chinook as a good all-purpose hop with fine bittering and aroma/flavor characteristics but I don’t think it adds much in terms of dry-hopping. Simcoe, on the other hand, adds all sorts of yummy dank-ness!
So come on by this Friday for the release of Utopian at 3pm. We also have the excellent Milwaukee singer-songwriter Carley Baer performing at 7:30!
Hop Heads of the world unite!